Social Media is not Silly Business – 5 lessons I learned from Comedian
I have a friend who recently became a comedian. I was very interested to learn of his studies, I never knew there were classes for such a profession. His class has a comedy review show to conclude their studies and prepare them for their future in entertainment. He marketed this performance on social media. It was his hope to educate his followers and to get them to attend his show. He goal was to secure a following to earn votes with the possibility of winning the evenings competition. It was the beginning of his established following.
To be successful comedians must know their audience and cater to that crowd. They also understand that it is not important to impress every person in the audience. He learned quickly that fan based loyalty is more important than total numbers. Comedians focus on the audience that cares, the ones that follow them. By entertaining, engaging and providing fresh content loyal fans return for more. Here are five lessons we can learn from the world of comedy.
- Build a loyal fan base – The comedian pays close attention to what his fans want and he delivers it. Study your following and reach out to them, build trust. Your followers will be impressed that you know their needs and you are working to meet them. This will also help you build your brand by knowing what marketing styles appeal to your following.
- Be honest – This is the best relationship builder. Comedians often address taboo topics that they can get away with (they say what most of us only think). Be honest and real in all you do. When a fan addresses a sensitive issue or posts a complaint, respond openly and honestly. This will drive your appeal when you address things head on.
- Entertain them – People want human interaction in social media. Think about what your customers find interesting by considering how you use social media. Keep your audience entertained, keep it lively and you will keep them engaged.
- The show must go on – When you commit to a social media source, make the time to keep it active. Always strive to deliver a great show. Maintain momentum and keep in the forefront of your followers minds.
- Laughter is contagious – Humor is the #1 way to keep interest. Use it often and your followers will keep engaged. Share and remember that you have a special knack to make them feel good.
When we promote our individual businesses through social media that is exactly what we are doing, educating our following in a manner that keeps them interested in maintaining a long term loyal relationship one that makes us laugh often and always leaves us feeling good. As the wise Maya Angelou says – “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Penny Jones, is a blogger and social media content writer at WebWorld Advantage. WebWorld Advantage, is a company dedicated to innovation in Social Media, Email Marketing, Marketing Consulting, Training and Education in Livingston County, serving Southeast Michigan and beyond.